What happens when men start talking to each other? That simple question is the starting point for #globalguytalk. #globalguytalk is an initiative by the Swedish foundation Make Equal which is now being spread to the rest of the world by the Swedish Institute.
The concept is easy – gather a group of guys and start talking about things that men rarely talk about, with the help of the conversational guides you find on the website globalguytalk.com. The ambition with #globalguytalk is to give men the chance to contribute to a more equal society.
A common misunderstanding is to regard gender equality as a “women’s issue”. This risk putting the main responsibility for change on the unprivileged group. And the thing is that men are also affected by issues concerning sex and gender – limiting norms, expectations and obstacles. And we know that what affects men, risks affecting others as well in the long run.
Feel free to collaborate with organisations that work with gender equality issues to start a local initiative. Design and content can of course be adapted based on your local context. If you need help, SI and Make Equal are available to provide support. All material for this toolkit is to be found on globalguytalk.com. Before you decide to apply for this toolkit, please make sure you have read through the website.
Instructions and manuals
An introductory video for the conversation leader is available on YouTube. The video also serves as an in-depth introduction to the concept.
Video for conversation leaders (YouTube)
If you plan to host a #globalguytalk please also register this to Make Equal so that they know you are doing it
Step by step manual
- Find a suitable venue, possibly the local Swedish embassy.
- Set a date and time, be sure you can send in the application for funding at least five weeks before the event takes place.
- Inform your contact person at the Swedish Embassy about your event.
- Create a page for your event so that people can register. We suggest you use
confetti.events or a similar service. Use the social media material to communicate your activity.
- Post your event in the Sweden Alumni Activity Calendar.
- Register your #globalguytalk this to Make Equal so that they know you are doing it.
- Send invitations to your members. If you need help with reaching out to new members, get in touch with SI who can help sending an email to their contacts.
- Have your event and don’t forget to take pictures!
- Send in the report to SI, not more than two weeks after the event.
The website www.globalguytalk.com contains all necessary information for participants and conversation leaders. Please direct interested parties to this site for more information about #globaguytalk.
A teaser film and four videos introducing different themes of #globalguytalk are available. The videos also work as an introduction to an actual #globalguytalk, as part of an invitation, or as social media posts.
- Teaser Film (YouTube). Download (MP4).
This short film introduces #globalguytalk. Share the video on your social media accounts, and distribute to your local partners.
- Video 1 – dads (YouTube). Download (MP4).
- Video 2 – love (YouTube). Download (MP4).
- Video 3 – vulnerability (YouTube). Download (MP4).
- Video 4 – ego (YouTube). Download (MP4)
How to apply
Submit an application form to apply for this event.
How to report
Here you find the reporting instructions.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.